Wednesday 3 November 2010

Android media players finally arrive, thanks to Samsung and Creative

With all this hype around tablets you tend to forget that people still like good old media players to listen to music on. Personally, I don't use my HTC Desire as my music player, as it would kill the battery and the phone doesn't have enough memory to store all my music. Of course I can upgrade the mircoSD card, but I need over 32g and that isn't going to come cheap. The irony that in a world of convergence devices I'll still end up with a phone, tablet and MP3 player isn't lost on me. At least there are some nice devices on the way though.

Samsung Galaxy Player 50
Samsung's player looks like a proper competitor to the iPod Touch, with
Android 2.1, a 3.2-inch display and a 2-megapixel camera, plus Wi-Fi and GPS. The 16G version will retail for around £200, so it won't be too expensive either. Plus, that memory is expandable thanks to a microSD slot.


Creative Zen Touch 2
 
Having owned a Creative Zen, I have a soft spot for these guys. If the screen wasn't resistive touch, I'd probably buy one. In any case, I'll definitely test one out when they are released in the UK. It's the cheaper option of the two devices, with the most expensive 16G version priced at £150. Looks great, but touch resisitive...

No comments: